By Elizabeth Ugbo
Unknown gunmen attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, shortly after his visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, in Osogbo. The attackers reportedly arrived in an unregistered Sienna bus and opened fire near the palace, while Adeleke’s security personnel responded and repelled them. The incident lasted about 12 to 15 minutes and caused panic among traders, residents and business owners.
Gunmen Attack Adeleke’s Convoy
The shooting occurred shortly after Adeleke left the palace hall following his meeting with the monarch.
An eyewitness said the governor had already entered his vehicle when gunshots rang out.
According to the witness, the attackers arrived through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo.
“They came in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo,” the eyewitness said.
The attackers reportedly fired at the palace’s main gate.
However, security personnel attached to the governor quickly responded to the attack.
Security Personnel Repel Attackers
The eyewitness said both sides exchanged gunfire during the incident.
She added that the attackers later fled towards Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.
The shooting reportedly lasted between 12 and 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed the attack.
Alimi said the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled the attackers.
He also confirmed that nobody died during the incident.
“They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty,” Alimi said.
Adeleke Received Certificate of Return
Adeleke had arrived at the Ataoja’s palace at about 3:15 p.m.
He arrived with a motorcade of about 20 vehicles.
The governor had earlier visited the Osun State headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission in Osogbo.
There, he received his Certificate of Return after securing re-election.
He then proceeded to the palace to meet the Ataoja of Osogbo.
An eyewitness said Oba Oyetunji received Adeleke and his entourage at the palace.
The governor reportedly presented his Certificate of Return to the monarch.
The meeting later ended after the monarch offered prayers.
According to the eyewitness, Adeleke then left through an exit reserved for the monarch and his wives.
Shooting Sparks Panic in Osogbo
The attack caused panic among traders, residents and other people around the palace.
Several business owners reportedly closed their shops and fled the area.
Many traders also abandoned their goods while seeking safer locations.
One trader, identified simply as Munirat, said the attackers may have known about Adeleke’s visit.
“We suspected that those hoodlums heard about Adeleke’s visit and had been waiting for him,” she said.
She added that the attackers damaged the palace’s main gate during the shooting.
“They shot at the palace main gate, but the security men pushed them back,” she said.
The trader also said the attackers engaged the governor’s security personnel near the Osogbo Central Mosque.
They later fled towards Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.
Sporadic Gunshots Heard After Attack
As of 4:45 p.m., sporadic gunshots were still heard around the area.
Consequently, several business owners had shut their shops for safety.
Residents also moved away from the palace area as security personnel worked to restore calm.
No casualty had been reported as of the time of filing the report.
Security agencies are expected to investigate the attack and identify those behind the shooting.





