Peionews

Three Killed In Suspected Hate Attack At San Diego Mosque And Islamic School

Three Killed In Suspected Hate Attack At San Diego Mosque And Islamic School

By Elizabeth Ugbo

Three people were killed on Monday after two gunmen opened fire at the Islamic Center of San Diego in the Clairemont area of San Diego. Police said the attackers, believed to be aged 17 and 19, later died from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds. Authorities are investigating the incident as a possible hate crime amid rising anti-Muslim rhetoric in the United States.

Police Investigate Possible Hate Crime

San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said investigators are treating the shooting as a hate-motivated attack because it targeted an Islamic centre.

“Because of the Islamic centre location, we are considering this a hate crime until it’s not,” Wahl told reporters.

The attack happened at a complex housing a mosque and an Islamic school. Police earlier reported an active shooter situation before confirming that the threat had been neutralised.

Authorities said all three victims were adults. However, children inside the school were not physically harmed.

Security Guard Helped Prevent More Casualties

Wahl praised one of the victims, a security guard at the centre, for helping to prevent a greater tragedy.

According to the police chief, the guard played a “pivotal role” during the attack. Investigators are still working to determine what led to the shooting.

Meanwhile, officials confirmed that the two suspects were male teenagers aged 17 and 19.

Muslim Community Reacts To Attack

Imam Taha Hassane described the Islamic centre as a welcoming place for worship, learning and community gatherings.

“It is extremely outrageous to target a place of worship. Our Islamic Center is a place of worship,” Hassane said.

San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria also condemned the attack and assured Muslims in the city of increased protection.

“To our local Muslim community, our prayers are with you,” Gloria said.

He added that city authorities would use every available resource to secure religious institutions during the sensitive period.

Growing Concerns Over Islamophobia In The US

The shooting comes amid growing concerns about Islamophobia in the United States. Several politicians and commentators have recently faced criticism for anti-Muslim remarks.

For instance, Congressman Randy Fine, an ally of Donald Trump, previously made controversial comments targeting Muslims.

President Trump said he had received an early briefing on the incident and described the shooting as “terrible”.

“I’ve been given some early updates, but we’re going to be going back and looking at it very strongly,” Trump stated.

Dozens of officials across the United States also condemned the attack and expressed support for the Muslim community.

Avatar photo
Content & Publishing Desk Head

    Related Articles

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.